Hanukkah / Jewish Winter Solstice Seder
A fully formatted, printer-ready PDF format of the Hanukkah seder is available for just $5 in my Etsy Shop. Purchases support my work both financially and spiritually, by letting me know you appreciate and are using the work.
- Elements: Water (have) Fire (need)
- Themes: Re/Dedication, Heroes/Heroines, Light in the Darkness, Power of the Individual, Things that are Hidden
- What’s Hidden: Things under the water, Jews in the Greek Empire and Pure Vial of Oil, The laws of nature and the sun, Judith’s motives in camp of Holfernes
- Four Stories: Leviathan, Maccabees, Adam at Solstice, Judith
- Four Courses: Soup/Fish, Olives, Root Vegetables, Cheese
This seder is intended for the eighth night of Hanukkah, as all eigth candles are light during the seder (but I think you could also do it on the first night). It’s also a great way to celebrate the Winter Solstice (Tefukat Tevet) in a Jewish way, whether it falls during Hanukkah or not!
Unlike Passover, there is no break for a meal in this seder. After each section, a dish is served which corresponds directly to what has just happened. There are also food blessings before most courses. If you are traditionally observant, please feel free to modify the food blessings to follow your own practice. Wine is not called out here specifically, but it would be perfectly appropriate to include wine with each course.
Another change from the format of a Passover seder is that there is no specification as to who should read what parts. I leave that to you to decide. You can designate certain parts for a leader or just go around the table having each person read a section.
I hope you enjoy Hanukkah/Solstice seder. Please feel free to leave comments and share your experience with it.