I believe that my soul is directly intertwined with the world around me. A blade of grass contains a spark of the Divine, the same as any animal or human – I must respect not only my body, but also the animals and plants that are sacrificed to maintain my body. For my magick to be effective, my word must be true and in harmony with the Divine energy in all things.
אברא כדברא — I create as I speak.
To this effect, below I present my definition of “Kosher” eating and living. What is presented is an ideal. Each lifetime is a process of learning. Just like in school we strive for 100% on an exam, but are not crushed by receiving an 85%. My goal is to receive high marks, even if, being human, I do not reach perfection.
This document, like life, is a work in progress.
- Honor the Divine in all its forms.
- Honor the Elements, the Spirits of Nature, and Heavenly Beings.
- Honor the Ten Commandments of Moses.
- Honor my Ancestors.
- Speak honestly and behave in an upright fashion.
- Put ethics above material gain.
- Live each day fully. Live with joy. Live with excitement. Live with intent.
- Harness my natural talents, provide opportunities for them to grow, and share them with others.
- Encourage the dreams of those around me.
- Live in harmony with nature. Care for the Earth to leave a better world for those who come after me.
- Choose “green” products over more harmful ones.
- Creatively re-use products whenever possible.
- Plant native plants and landscape in a way that is beneficial to my environment.
- Whenever possible local agriculture should be supported through an active effort to purchase locally-grown/raised/produced foods.
- Eat foods that are in season, to keep my body in tune with the natural cycles of the world around me.
- Support smaller, independent food producers should also be actively supported.
- Organic and non-genetically modified food products, fruits, vegetables, and grains
- Food products sold by ethical, eco-conscious companies
- “Clean” Animals raised in an ethical manner
- Cage free / Pastured
- No growth hormone or unnecessary antibiotics
- Fed natural healthy food – no animal byproduct for cows, chickens, etc.
- Slaughtered in a responsible manner that does not cause unnecessary pain or distress.
- Limit consumption of high-fructose corn syrup which is used to enhance the profits of manufacturers
- Avoid all food products that contain Hydrogenated Oils and Partially-hydrogentated Oils, which serve no value for the body, potentially cause great harm, and only are used to increase the profits of the producers.
- Do not be ignorant of what I am eating — read labels
- Return what I do not eat to the earth (compost!)